Oven Baked Spinach Tacos Recipe – step by step
Oven Baked Spinach Tacos
* 9 small spinach tortillas (5-inch diameter)
* 2 cups of cooked rice (360 g)
* One 15 oz can kidney beans or black beans (rinsed and drained)
* 1 small/medium onion
* 1/2 tbsp oil
* 2 garlic cloves
* 1/2 bell pepper
* 3/4 cup canned mushrooms (100 g) or use fresh
* Spice mix: 1/2 tsp onion powder, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1/4 tsp smoked paprika, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp black pepper (or more to taste), sea salt to taste
* 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
* 1 tbsp soy sauce (gluten-free if needed)
* 4 tbsp plant-based milk
* 1/3 cup passata
* 2 tbsp hot sauce (or use less/more to taste)
* 1 batch vegan cheese sauce
1. Cook rice as per the instructions on the package. You will need 2 cups of cooked rice for this recipe.
2. Prepare spinach tortillas as per this recipe (click). Or use store-bought flour tortillas or corn tortillas of choice.
3. Meanwhile, heat oil in a pan/skillet over medium heat and add the onion, mushrooms, and bell pepper.
4. Sauté for about 3-5 minutes, then add garlic for a further minute. Stir occasionally.
5. Add all spices, balsamic vinegar, soy sauce, plant-based milk, passata, and hot sauce. Stir and let simmer for about 3 minutes.
6. Add cooked rice and beans, stir and turn off the heat.
7. Preheat oven to 410 degrees Fahrenheit (210 degrees Celsius) and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
8. Make one batch of the vegan cheese sauce (click) or use store-bought vegan cheese.
9. Add about 2 tbsp of the rice filling on one side of a tortilla and 1 tbsp of the vegan cheese. Fold the other side over the filling and press it slightly down with your fingers (see pictures above in the blog post). Do the same for the remaining tortillas.
10. Transfer all tortillas onto the baking sheet. Bake in the oven for about 10-15 minutes or until crispy. Enjoy hot!